Once underfloor heating is installed it is not easily accessible so it is recommended to choose quality products which will last as long as the floor finish. A 10 year warranty is considered the absolute baseline for warranty of an electric underfloor heating system with systems available that have lifetime warranty that allow for peace of mind that the system won’t fail.
County of Origin
The underfloor heating system may have the country in which it is manufacturer advertised. This helps give an idea of the quality of the system, as if it is made in Europe or America it is most likely going to be a better quality heating system.
Suitability with the floor finish
Whilst electric underfloor heating systems are usually installed under tiles floors, the warmth and luxury can also be experienced with many other floor finishes including vinyl, carpet and timber. However, you do need to ensure that the underfloor heating system you select is suitable for the floor finish you have and for a floor finish other than tiles you will need to consult with the floor manufacturer regarding the compatibility and max temperatures.
While floor insulation is a good idea in any floor build-up, it is especially important to use when you have underfloor heating. As heat travels equally in all directions until it meets a layer of thermal resistance, it means that without insulation you will lose as much heat down into the substrate as is radiated through the floor into the room. A layer of insulation beneath the floor heating will reduce this heat loss resulting in faster heat-up time and increase the efficiency of the heating system.
An electric underfloor heating system is relatively easy to install, especially if it is a matting system. It can be installed by the builder, electrician, tiler or homeowner however you do need a qualified electrician to test the heating system and do the final wire up of the Thermostat.
After sales support
Even through it is unlikely for you to experience problems after the installation and floor is complete you need to ensure there is technical back-up and support for during the installation process if needed or even just assistance with setting up your thermostat program. Whilst this is hard to determine before you make your purchase, you can get an impression of this from the way the company looks after you before the sale. Consider how well presented they seem, how long they take with your quote and how they respond to your changes and requirements.
Other design features to look for
- Single ended conductor: this means that only one end of underfloor heating cable needs to be wired to the Thermostat making installation easier and meaning that the heating system can be
- Thickness of the cable: you will need to be aware of the thickness of the cable as this will affect the height build-up
Where do I install the underfloor heating in my floor build-up?
There are underfloor heating systems that go in most layers of your floor build-up so you have the option to select a system that suits your specific build. Systems include:
- In Slab – This will take around 2-3 days to heat up, so it is not suitable if you are wanting a fast response. Once the slab is heated it will act as a heat bank and continue to generate heat up into the room. In slab heating will take the same length of time to cool down as it takes to heat up so you can’t switch the heating off if the temperature warms up during the day.
- In Screed – If you are laying a screed before tiling or adding your floor finish you have the option of using an In Screed system. Like the In Slab system, In Screed will turn the screed into a heat bank allowing it to generate heat up into the room, however is a more on-demand solution, heating up and cooling down in 3-4 hours. When Underfloor Heating is installed under the screed it provides a clean substrate for laying the floor finish.
- Directly below the floor – For most floor finishes there are systems available which can be installed directly below the floor finish which provides the fastest heat up times, around 2-3 hours. Installing Underfloor Heating directly below the floor also means it can be installed in a renovation application.
If you have any other concerns regarding your underfloor heating feel free to contact us to speak to a consultant to discuss your requirement’s.