Professional Installer or DIY? Who can install an electric underfloor heating system?
For many people an electric underfloor heating system seems like a complex electrical product that requires a qualified, professional installer. However, Thermogroup’s Underfloor heating systems are supplied as a complete wired system it can be installed by any competent DIY person, a professional installer or tradesperson (Including Builder, Tiler or Electrician).
No matter who is completing the laying of the heating mat or loose wire the underfloor heating system to ensure that the installation instructions are followed to ensure a hassle free installation. The warranty of the underfloor heating is unheld regardless of who has installed the floor heating providing it has been installed correctly according to the installation instruction and the online warranty registration is completed.
Providing all installation instructions are followed and the specified tests are done before during and after installing the heating, the lifetime warranty remains intact even if you install the heating yourself.
It is important to note that the connection to the wall controller (thermostat) and wiring to power must be done by a qualified electrician. The electrician will also determine the load of the system and make sure the connection complies with all electrical standards.
Tips for underfloor heating installations
- Measure up properly. This ensures that you don’t have excess cable or have too little heating cable that could create cold patches.
- Don’t ever cut or shorten the heating cable! Every Thermogroup electric underfloor heating mat and cable is designed to a specific resistance rating – this is what creates the heat. If the heating cable is cut or lengthened, that resistance rating changes and the cable can become damaged, or not heat up sufficiently.
- Keep at least 50mm spacing between each run of heating cable. Ensure the cables do not touch or cross over.
- Check with your flooring manufacturer for compatibility with electric underfloor heating.
- Ensure all heating cables and cold tail connections are fully embedded within a layer of flexible tile adhesive. Failure to do so will cause the system to fail over time and can present a fire hazard.
- Make sure that all electrical work is carried out and tested by a qualified electrical professional.
- Complete your warranty registration within 60 days of purchase.
- Remember to read all installation guides before commencing installation of your electric underfloor heating system!
- Don’t place the cold tail connection or end termination in a recess in the floor/insulation boards and then cover with tape. This causes an air pocket and can lead to cable failure.
- Don’t hide coils of unused heating cable under fixtures such as baths and kitchen units (believe it or not we have seen this before!) If a system like this is connected to the electricity and switched on it will simply fail.
- Don’t position temperature sensors near heat influences such as heating/water pipes or large glazed elevations.
- Don’t turn on the system until it is fully installed and all adhesives, levelers and grouts are fully cured – usually 7-14 days. You don’t need power to test the system!
- Don’t directly cover a working underfloor heating system. Air must be allowed to circulate over the floor. Any permanent furniture must be on bun feet or similar.
- Don’t attempt to carry out any electrical work if you are not a fully qualified electrician.
Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions during installation our technical team are here to help! Call us on 1300 368 631.